by Joanne David CFP FCSI
We (Joanne David CFP FCSI and associates) recognize the importance of client privacy and the sensitivity of the personal information that we may have concerning any individual. Financial Planners have a professional and ethical obligation to keep confidential all information we receive within a client relationship subject to the client’s instructions to provide transactions. We are committed to safeguarding the personal information we have or control concerning any individual.
Your Privacy Rights
We manage your personal information in compliance with Alberta’s Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA) and will comply in certain circumstances with the federal privacy law, the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPDEA), as required.
Why We Collect Personal Information
We collect personal information for the purposes of serving the related needs of our clients. We require information to:
– Understand, access and assist you, our client with your ongoing financial or insurance needs.
– Ensure information is accurate and up-to-date.
– Collect information for the purposes of providing services to clients in respect to varying financial or insurance transactions.
What personal information do we collect?
Personal information is any information that identifies you personally. In Alberta business contact information such as your office address, job title, business phone number, email address, fax number or other related business contact information is not considered personal information. We follow reasonable and prudent business practices to collect, use and disclose your personal information for the purpose of providing you with services.
How do we collect your personal information?
We collect your personal information directly from you. We ask you for your consent, at the start of our relationship, and during our relationship when need to transact on your behalf. Your consent may be in writing, verbal or implied as necessary to further your needs. Our privacy statement is your notice of the purposes for which we collect, use or disclose your personal information or business contact information.
Independent of our services provided, varying insurance companies may obtain relevant additional information in respect to an application you may have made. You will always be asked to sign a separate authority form to additionally made you aware of this collection of personal infomation. This type of information may be derived from sources such as: yourself, medical professionals, public registries, financial institutions, motor vehicle and driver licensing authorities.
There are certain circumstances where we are required or permitted by law, to collect, use and disclose personal information without consent. Examples of these certain circumstances that require disclosure of your personal information without your consent:
– when we are required or authorized by law to do so, for example if a court issues a subpoena;
– when the use of the information is necessary to respond to an emergency that threatens the life, health or security of an individual or the public;
– when it is necessary to establish or collect fees; or
– if the information is already publicly known;
Use of Your Information and Cancelation
We use your personal information to provide services to you. You may at any time withdraw your consent by notifying us. We do not disclose or sell your personal information or business contact information to any third party to enable them to market their products and services.
Accuracy of Your Information
You have the right to request a correction of the personal information that we hold about you. We rely on you to provide us with accurate and up-to-date personal and business contact information for the purposes of providing you with services and to maintain contact with you. If during the course of our professional relationship, any of your information changes, please inform us so that we can make any necessary changes.
How do we protect your personal information?
In order to protect your personal information, we will:
– Not collect, use or disclose your personal information for any purpose other than those we identify as you.
– Keep your personal information only for as long as needed it to fulfill the stated purpose or as required by law.
– Maintain your personal information in as accurate, complete and up-to-date a form as possible.
– Keep your personal information physically secure, for example, in locked or secure offices, rooms and/or filing cabinets.
– Maintain technological safeguards for your sensitive personal information.
Access to your personal information
You may request access to the personal information we have about you. The request must be in writing and directed to the privacy officer identified below. We are allowed to charge a reasonable fee for retrieval and copying of your personal information.
We may review and change our Privacy Statement from time to time in order to update our privacy commitment to you in keeping with current privacy laws of Alberta.
Contact Information & Resources
If you have any concerns, questions, or requests, please contact our Alberta Privacy Officer at the address below or through the contact by email section of our web site:
Canadian Financial Strategies, Inc.
Rabbit Hill Box 88077
2430 Rabbit Hill Road
Edmonton, AB T6R 0M5
by Joanne David CFP FCSI
by Joanne David CFP FCSI
Certified Financial Planner
Share this post.